Yes, I decided to just be honest and lay it all out there. Sometimes.....okay often I go to bed with dinner dishes still on the counter. I wash them the next day, so no worries about a curious funky smell wafting through the house. It's just that by evening I'm done. I'd rather cuddle on the couch watching a movie, or float in the pool, or go to a soccer game. Basically what I'm saying is family is a blessing and life is too short to worry about the dinner dishes on the counter.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Vacation happenings and such.

Phew!  Vacations are hard work.  It takes a lot of energy to have fun and not work.   My wonderful husband likes to take two weeks off in a row in the summer.  We take one week vacations here and there through the year, but the two weeks is our official get away from life family vacation time.  We typically go up north to our sister's cabin on the lake as part of our time away.  We love it because it's almost like camping except we are in a house.  ;)  The lake and nature is right outside our door, and the bathrooms and kitchen are right inside our door!!  The best of both worlds.


This year we did something different.  We traveled up into the U.P.  I've had this desire for a while to do more traveling to places other than our usual jaunts.  It was a lovely day that I'll want to repeat!  We played in the sand bar of Lake Superior and went to see Tahquamenon Falls.  So beautiful!!  We hiked through the park and then enjoyed a lovely drive home along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.  As I looked at the beauty of God's creation, I marvel at his work.  It makes me think of how much He loves us.  He gave us all this to enjoy, to cherish.  How blessed we are!!   


While traveling north we had a funny thing happen.  Now, as a prologue to this story, let me say that we are a fun, zany family.  My husband is truly a nut.  He has the ability to bring so much laughter to our home.  He has no problem being "childish" for the simple reason of enjoying life.  The kids love it.  I both love and shake my head at his actions.  So, back to traveling.  We stopped just over the Mackinaw Bridge to grab some maps and take a bathroom break.  While coming back to our van, Christopher our 12 year old noticed that his reflection in the bumper of a big pick up truck that was parked next to us looked funny.  He pointed it out to the others.  Next thing you know Christopher, Dan, Rachel and Leanne are all dancing in front of the bumper laughing at their reflection.  I can't explain in words the sounds Dan was making........sort of a doh-de-doh-de-doh-de-doh!  Basically, they were being very silly.....until Rachel noticed that there was someone sitting in the driver's seat!!  She looked up and was like, "Oh my gosh! There is someone sitting in the driver's seat watching us!"  We all started laughing, it was so funny!!  Finally the driver rolls down his window and says, "Don't forget the back bumper."  LOL!!  We cracked up, Dan was really laughing at himself!!  I can just imagine what that guy told his friend when he climbed back in the truck!!  Later we saw him on the freeway and we all waved to each other.  We probably made his day!  I know we enjoyed a laugh over that for hours, as did our family and friends as we shared the story with them.  And now I hope I at least made you smile.

What's vacation without laughter??

1 comment: