Yes, I decided to just be honest and lay it all out there. Sometimes.....okay often I go to bed with dinner dishes still on the counter. I wash them the next day, so no worries about a curious funky smell wafting through the house. It's just that by evening I'm done. I'd rather cuddle on the couch watching a movie, or float in the pool, or go to a soccer game. Basically what I'm saying is family is a blessing and life is too short to worry about the dinner dishes on the counter.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thinkin' about Thankin'

Well, it's another Thanksgiving Day in my life.  And as I walk around the house, doing all my preparations there are thoughts and memories that I just can't get out of my head.  It's making me contemplative, and almost moody so it's time to get it out so I can move on to the here and now.  I don't want to let this holiday go by without making sure I acknowledge how blessed I am, and let those who live in my house and my heart know how very much I love them.

Moving back in time, 30-some years and a few days ago......

It's lunch time at the parochial school I attended.  The cafeteria is a-buzz with the energy of students looking forward to a 5-day holiday weekend.  I'm sitting at my table in my plaid skirt and white blouse with my usual group of friends, surrounded as well by our other classmates.  They are talking about the big Thanksgiving meal to come, and arguing about who's mom makes the best turkey, pie, stuffing and other fixings.  
As I hear their conversation, I look down at what's set before me....the cafeteria's attempt to mimic a turkey dinner.  While doing so, I picture the state of our cupboards at home and realize that what's on my tray very likely represents the whole of my holiday meal.  And likely the only complete meal of the entire weekend.  So, I scoop up a forkful of barely warm turkey and slowly congealing gravy and take my time chewing it.  
Coming from down at the end of the table I hear,  "EWWW!!!  You actually ATE that stuff?!".  This comment is followed by other groans and similar remarks.  I just look at them and say something to the effect of, "Beggars can't be choosers." and everyone laughs.   But from across the table I glance into the deep-brown eyes of my best friend who knows I'm not kidding.  My feelings volley between being thankful that I have a friend who knows, and wishing I could carry on this act with no one being the wiser.  

This scene, or one similar to it replayed itself in my life for years.  So, what happened that weekend and other Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays in the years surrounding that time in my life?  Sometimes we had hot dogs and beans, or pancakes.  The years that the church caught wind of our situation were especially exciting.  They would drop off a basket of food complete with a turkey!  Sometimes my Aunt Sandra (God rest her soul.....) would bring us bags of groceries.  You would be surprised at how a family can make that food, meant for one day stretch for a week or more.

Then, one year my mom met this wonderful woman of God....Judy K. (who has now entered her heavenly reward) For years she invited our family over to their house.  I was always so in awe of their kitchen full of food and spices and the house was so pretty decked out with it's glittering holiday decor.  The whole family was so warm and welcoming.  They made such a huge difference in my life, and played a big part in putting hope in my heart.  I was able to see that though we were poor, living on the precipice of being cast-offs in society......God loved us.  He provided for us.  He showed us how to believe......to not let the circumstances of our life bring bitterness and anger into our hearts.  To hold onto joy tighter than any negative thought that might enter our heads.  It was the beginning of putting a crack in the door of my heart, so that I may open it to receive Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  God was in action through the lives of willing hands and hearts.

Therefore, I want to end this post with a shout out to those who make a difference.  To those of you who have invited someone into your home, packed a basket of food, delivered it to a needy family, or gave so others could.  You are His hands and His feet in the life of someone like me.  God Bless you and keep you this holiday season and for many to come.

Love to all.....

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Dawn. This moved me to tears...in a good way, even though that sounds odd.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good post, Dawn! I agree, very moving.

    Kym

    ReplyDelete